Sunday, March 22, 2020

Keep Busy to Beat Covid


Keep Busy

Private Frazer in Dad’s Army: "We’re doomed".

Trying times for us all. Mal’s best advice: keep busy if you can. The newspapers are full of advice on how to do this. So: read a newspaper – on-line if you can’t get to the shops to get one. Don’t forget, when I say newspaper I mean a real newspaper. You can get trial versions of most dailies like the Eastern Daily Press – great for local news – the Times – the Guardian – the Mail – The Mirror – The Telegraph and yes, even The Sun (better than nothing), check out the Kansas City Star!

On Sunday I always get the Sunday Times and have done for more than forty years. The 22 March edition is packed with stuff about the virus, as you may well imagine. Be sure to check out Jeremy Clarkson’s article, very obtuse yet funny and Ron Liddle just hits the spot.

Next: get out if you can. I have a large garden so I can walk about with impunity. We are building a fence for our next door neighbour. It’s only small and its only purpose is to separate our tiny front gardens, but at least we are out in the fresh air. We plan to drive to Bacton and walk along the seafront – it’s free and healthy – just avoid other people if you can.

Read a book: check out the local library to see if they have an on-line ordering system – you may not even have to physically go there. If not, sneak into you local charity shop, they will have many books for next to nothing. Locally, you can check out the Bookstore at the Bure Valley Railway – lots of books and cheap! (works for me)!

 I managed to track down one of my favourite “end-of-the-world-scenario books, Alas Babylon, which I was, with quite a bit of finagling able to get an electronic version of and download it to my tablet.  An excellent read – especially for the 12 and under age groups. - not much violence or sex. Others in the same mode might be Z for Zachariah and On the Beach, Brother in the Land, The Postman ( Kevin Costner made it into a film much maligned by the critics, but far better than his Waterworld fiasco ) and The Day After Tomorrow (a particularly poor book!).

(something called the open library has extensive ebooks in read-as-you -go versions, OK for me because I read so fast that I can usually finish one in a day – doesn’t work with War and Peace, however, believe me I have tried)


Learn something: I’m currently working on an on-line course to learn Latin.

Check on your neighbours. I have the phone numbers of my immediate neighbours so I can call them if I have to. I see them from a distance most days.

Stay in touch with your family. On Mother’s Day (here in the UK) people might be tempted to visit their mums. Don’t. Just make do with a phone call or Skype.

Write something on your blog., or start one if you haven’t already. Check mine out at: https://malkauffman.blogspot.com/

No comments: