Saturday, January 28, 2006

More About Names and Arrogance


Why should that name be sounded more than yours?
Write them together, yours is as fair a name;
Sound them, it doth become the mouth as well;
- Shakespeare, Julius Caesar


Does this look and sound familiar? Willy Shakes used to do a lot of this kind of thing. Go back to an idea or theme or even rephrase a “famous” phrase. For example. later on, in Romeo and Juliet he returns to this theme and comes up with, “a rose by any other name . . . “. Bet you didn't know that!


Haven't quite finished with names. Have a look at this article about an attack on a pupil at a school in Sheffield.


Attack schoolgirl wants to return



A 12-year-old girl slashed across the face by another pupil says she wants to return to the school where it happened.

Shanni Naylor needed 30 stitches in her face after the assault during an English lesson at Myrtle Springs School in Sheffield on Wednesday afternoon.

It is believed she had intervened to stop her assailant bullying another pupil the day before.

A 12-year-old girl was arrested in connection with the attack and released on police bail until December.

It is thought the attacker used a blade from a pencil sharpener to slash her victim.”



Not very nice. However, this isn't a rant against violence in school – I only bring this up to “prove” my point about names. What kind of a name is Shanni? Now this poor little tyke may be a totally innocent victim of a vicious attack by some nutter – but what kind of a parent would name a poor innocent, little baby Shanni? This is just asking for trouble. Any girl named Shanni who arrived in any lesson I was teaching would immediately be on my “suspect” list. Certainly her parents would.



Hang on – is there something more here? The report refers to little Shanni intervening in a previous bullying attack by her assailant on another pupil. I'd like to know more about this before I passed judgement. I hope I am wrong, but it is just possible that Shanni isn't the poor, innocent victim in this fracas. So, is there an alternative story here – not reported? Possible.



Shanni kicks seven bells out of another girl (her eventual assailant) on Tuesday. On Wednesday girl attacks Shanni with sharp implement. There is no excuse for this, of course; but, if I'm investigating this case, I'm wanting to know why Shanni got slashed before I get the fourth estate involved.



And now, dealing with the parents - I can't resist the temptation to ask, as sensitively as possible, what possessed them to name their child Shanni. Maybe it's an old family name. If so, I take it all back. But, I'm sticking with my paraphrase of Shakespeare,

Why should Shanni's name be sounded more than yours?
Write them together, yours is as fair a name;
Sound them, it doth become the mouth as well;

Mayhaps she pains the bum too much,

And deserveth whatsoever she gets!




No comments: